Tomorrow is my big move from NY to Baltimore.
For months I've anticipated this. As soon as I got my grad school acceptance letter my mom and I went crazy buying things for my apartment. I was sooo excited! Not only did I get to move out of my parents house and finally start my adult life...but I was actually really amped to get into public health... and I would be closer to my boyfriend!
Last saturday I realized that I had exactly one week until move in day. And I freaked out. Seriously...I was suddenly so sad. I realized that this would probably be the last time I'd ever live in the house I grew up in for an extended period of time. I mean...I went to college all the way in Virginia, so I'm used to being away...but this just felt way more...permanent. Being an adult scares me. Honestly, I don't really feel grown. How come no one told me that 24 feels like 18 [but with wayyyy more freedom] lol?! I was also nervous about the way my move would change my relationship. I've never been the kind of girl that is attached by the hip to my boyfriend. I like my space. But I've also never been in a serious non-long-distance relationship (yes I just made that up) as an adult. I know from watching my friends that in typical non-long-distance relationships couples are together quite a bit and they seem to enjoy it. What if I don't adapt? Will we just fall into a routine naturally? Will I grow to want to spend all of my free time with my boyfriend?
I can't say for sure...but I think that my fears are normal [please tell me they are lol]. Today, on the eve of my move...I can say that I'm excited again. Im ready to go and live my life. Im ready for new experiences. Im ready to be a young woman exploring a big city [that isnt New York]. Im ready to find myself. Im ready to grow.
Now we'll see how I feel about this when my parents leave and I'm left in my apartment alone twiddling my thumbs lol...but for now...I'm ready.
That's amazing that you've headed off to grad school. Congratulations girl! I hope you've had an easy transition and a fun time decorating your new apartment!
ReplyDeletexo,
Mariamma