me

im just an old fashioned girl with modern day ambitions.

21.5.14

Evolution.

I turned 25 on Sunday.

...and honestly...it was the best birthday ever. I just finished my first year of grad school (and I'm pretty sure I got straight A's). My boyfriend and closest friends threw me the sweetest surprise party (complete with Patron cupcakes). I got a fitbit (currently obsessed). Overall life is pretty awesome right now. 25 is going to be a great year.

But as I enter a new chapter in my life, a new quarter century, I can't help but reflect on the last. There's one thing that stands out to me as being completely different at 25 than it was at 24. My inner circle.

After college, I tried desperately to maintain friendships that were near and dear to my heart. I'd text, call, send smoke signals, whatever. Anything to save the friendship from dying. It took me a long time to realize that I was fighting to save relationships with people who weren't willing to do the same for me.

At first...this hurt. A lot.

Then I realized that people change. We outgrow one another. We find ourselves, and lose others along the way. We grow up.

This year I noticed these changes in the ways people wished me a happy birthday. Some people who used to call, simply wrote me on Facebook. Friends who used to celebrate with me, ignored my brunch invite. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I'm not hurt anymore.

I realize that more than likely this isn't personal. Although I'm sad to say goodbye to friendships that at one point meant the world to me...Im excited to make new friends. To grow closer to the ones who are still around. To experience everything this new 25+ life has to offer. Im ready to keep growing into the woman that I'm meant to be.

I'm choosing to live in the now. To enjoy every single moment that I'm blessed with, with the people who currently love me the most. I will forever be grateful for the things these past friends have taught me. And I'll probably always consider them friends. Who knows? Our paths may indeed cross again one day. If you can grow apart, you can surely grow together...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...