me

im just an old fashioned girl with modern day ambitions.

22.7.11

Sistah, Sistah.

Being a good role model is one of the most important things in the world to me. I dont have any biological sisters and growing up I always wished that I had an older sis to help me through all of my growing pains. Sisters share such a special bond. They fight, then love again. They laugh, then cry. They are best friends. They are there for one another.

My alma mater is a pretty small place. There are only about 5,000 undergraduate students so everyone pretty much knows or knows of one another. Its like a little family. Tradition is huge at Hampton U. One of those traditions is the Big Brother/ Big Sister, upperclassman/underclassman relationship. Your big brother or big sister is usually an upperclassman who is either assigned to you or  just thinks youre cool so he or she "adopts" you. Their job is to look out for you. Give you rides when necessary, tell you which teachers to stay away from, party with you, etc etc etc.

I never had a big sister in school (although I did have some pretty bomb big brothers) but I know how influential a positive female role model can be in a girl's life. I was blessed to adopt some wonderful little sisters during my time in school. They range from rising seniors to rising sophomores, from the east coast to the mid west, from studious to party animals lol. I love them.

I try to be someone that they can look up to. It is possible to party and make the deans list. Dont mess with that guy. That girl is not your friend. Dont mix your liquor. That skirt looks great. Join a club!---you get the point. All of my littles know that they can come to me with any problem or issue. I cherish the bond that I have with them and I am beyond happy that they are growing into responsible, intelligent, ambitious, gorgeous young women.

Im learning to sit back and let them make their own mistakes. I see some of them walking in my exact footsteps and it scares me sometimes. I dont want them to learn things the hard way the way that I had to. I dont want them to get knocked down before they build themselves up again. But those experiences made me the person that I am today. I offer my take on situations only when they ask me to. Deep down I know they will be okay just like I was. Theyre tough girls...I trust their judgement.

*The fashionista

*The chill one

*The diligent one

*The babyyyy

*The go getter

*The photographer

*The girly girl

*The future president


I love my girls =]

8 comments:

  1. Continue surrounding yourself with quality people, you making all the right moves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous24.7.11

    That's awesome! and they're all oh so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to see other women out there who are making themselves good role models to others. Those girls are lucky to know you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dr. Lil im trying!!

    @mama bear theyre pretty awesome lol!

    @carrymel aw thanks girl, its crucial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Britt :]26.7.11

    Aw Jazzy this is the cutest thing! Of course you know how great of a big sister you are! I really do look up to you. Always nice and put together & never let any issues you have show on your face. You really are my big sissy & I love you x's1000 I will Always keep up with you :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Britt now youre about to make ME cry lol. i love you more baby sis <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so awesome of you to be able to be that person for ALL of those girls! A positive figure is definitely important in anyones life, especially young women. Even if they don't always take your advice, they will always remember it one way or the other. & I think that's the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Miss Esspi that is definitely the most important thing. I love being able to make a difference in so many lives!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...