"sometimes you pray by accident. a wish, a hope. a thought."- The White Woman on the Green Bicycle
Last year one of my New Year's resolutions was to pray daily. I've always had a relationship with God, but once I went to college it sort of dwindled. Being a hard headed teenager, I thought I could figure things out by myself. I mean seriously...how could God help me ace that ridiculous organic chemistry test? How could He heal my broken heart? What does HE know about boys?
Dont get me wrong. I definitely acknowledged all of the great things that He did for me, but I felt like when it came to making things happen in my life I was on my own. It was my responsibility to figure things out....alone.
I'd find myself praying if and only if shit hit the fan. And I'd be angry. "Im a GOOD person, I have a GOOD heart!!! Why God? Why are you letting this happen to me?!"
Then it hit me...I needed to not only put my trust in God, but I needed to let Him know that I trusted Him. I needed to thank Him for the things that He did for me daily, and to pray for the things I wanted to accomplish in the future. I needed to stop living the 'woe is me' lifestyle and take charge of my life. I needed to be proactive.
The day that I began actively praying was the best day of my life. Im happier than I've ever been. I've stopped sweating the little things. I now count my blessings and not my misfortunes. I realize that everything happens for a reason and that what God has in store for me is amazingly worthwhile. The road to my destiny may not be easy, but I now know that every single thing that happens to me on it is designed to make my victory sweeter. Nothing is by chance.
This year when I sat down to make my New Year's resolution, I couldn't really come up with anything profound. Although there are a ton of little things that I need to work on, I don't think any can match my decision to strengthen my relationship with God. This relationship has encouraged me to better myself daily. Life is easier now. Im growing, living, laughing, and loving. Im all smiles.
Happy New Year everyone!! What has been your most life changing NYR?
First and foremost, I'm happy you're FINALLY writing again, lol…but more importantly, I'm happy about what you've been doing. I recently did the same. Doing a lot more to focus on God, reading my Bible, doing some more intensive studies during my quiet time to figure out what it all really means and how it applies to me and I've definitely been spending more time praying and not just little, "thank you God" prayers either, but those deeper, I want to have a conversation with you God prayers, lol. It's been nice, very comforting, my days go by so much better…as far as life changing NYR, I'd say the one where I decided to stop depending upon myself so much--so this year. :)
ReplyDeletehey happy new year! i always think that the moments of weakness that we go through always tests our faith and makes it stronger. This is a awesome post! :)
ReplyDelete@ashley yes!! im back and im going to try my hardest to be consistent in my blogging! its crazy how one little change can change your entire life! good luck with your NYR =]
ReplyDelete@kenzie thank you, and happy new year to you too!